Chocolate vs. COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic is affecting every aspect of our lives, including our home chocolate stash. Many chocolate makers and chocolatiers closed their shops because of state directives. Even See’s Candies suspended production for the first time since WWII. (UPDATE: See’s is back in production with online sales and some pickup only stores. Check their website for the latest.)
But not to worry, local chocolate vendors are re-opening in limited ways, and a lot of them are shipping chocolate. So while we should all stay home to flatten the curve, please continue to support your local chocolate makers and chocolatiers by ordering online.
Most of them have online stores, or at least a way to contact them from their websites to check if they are shipping/offering delivery/doing curbside pickup and to place orders. Some are offering special deals:
- Bisou Chocolate is offering free shipping on orders of $35 or more (with FREESHIP35 code).
- Charles Chocolates has free shipping in CA and $5 2-day shipping to other states on orders over $20. They have also started an Artisan Chocolate Subscription Service, which you can select how often and which set you would like delivered.
- CocoTutti is offering discounted shipping.
- Dandelion Chocolate has free shipping on chocolate, plus 2x daily delivery of their pastries in SF with a $10 delivery fee. Plus they are doing a lot of Zoom classes with chocolate themes.
- Endorfin Foods offers subscriptions and free shipping on orders over $50.
- Jade Chocolates has some items discounted in the online store and $9 shipping in CA.
- Michael’s Chocolates is offering free SFBA delivery (with SFBayArea code) and free nationwide shipping for orders over $75.
- 9th & Larkin is offering 10% off + free shipping in the US for order over $40 (with CRAFT code).
- Socola Chocolatier has free standard shipping on orders over $75, and often offers special limited time deals.
- TCHO is offering free ground shipping on orders of $50+.
- Volo Chocolate offers free shipping on orders over $60.
- The Xocolate Bar includes a free shipping on orders over $49.
If you don’t see your fav SFBA chocolatier/chocolate maker on the list, I couldn’t find a special deal from them. But support them anyway, if you can.
If you don’t need any chocolate right now (ha!), buy a gift certificate. If you can’t afford anything at the moment, sign up for their emails/newsletters, so you can get alerted to special deals.
If you are not SFBA local, you can still order from many of our chocolate vendors. Or check to see what your local chocolate makers/chocolatiers are doing in these trying times and order something from them. It will help them stay in business and help you stay happy too.
Everybody stay well — and well chocolated!
A writer/designer, Nancy lives in Oakland with Ronnie (AKA cacaopod), her husband of many years & fellow chocolate enthusiast.
Date posted: April 7, 2020. This entry was posted in Chocolate shops, East Bay chocolate, Featured, Front page, Listed chocolate maker, Listed chocolatier, Local chocolate, San Francisco chocolate, Update and tagged Charles Chocolates, coronavirus, COVID-19, Feve Artisan Chocolatier, Jade Chocolates, Michael Mischer, Michael's Chocolates, Recchiuti Confections, Socola Chocolatier, tinyB chocolate, veteran SFBA artisan chocolatier. Bookmark the permalink.